Monday, July 11, 2011

It's a Monday!

Happy Monday!

Yeah... somehow I've always loved the irony of that phrase! Those two words just don't go together! Today is no exception. Not that I'm UNhappy.... just ready for Monday to end. I had to run a few errands and make a trip to the discount grocery store in town this morning. The boys were NOT my friends on this trip. My 11 year old was pretty good, as usual, but my 4 year old was totally over the trip before it ever began. Some days I think that kid has multiple personality disorder! I spent the entire trip saying "No, Nate", "Come here, Nate", "Sit, Nate", "Do I need to get my belt, Nate?"...etc. You get the point. It's so HUMILIATING to be THAT MOM in the store with THAT CHILD, you know? I mean, if they could avoid looking at the strong-willed child and look at the well behaved child, they'd see what a great mother I am, right? But, of course, the well behaved child doesn't draw that kind of attention.

That has me thinking now, though. Wonder if God gets as frustrated with me as I do with my strong-willed child? I mean... I know that I have my days where He's constantly having to correct me. Wonder if He's ever thought about slipping me a dose of Benedryl for a little quiet time away from constantly disciplining me? I certainly don't make it easy on Him some days. "Stop that, Brooke", "Don't go there, Brooke", "Don't think that, Brooke", "Don't say that, Brooke"..... wow... I guess when you think about it, our children are no more a handful to us than we are to our Father, huh? How often do I humiliate Him on Facebook, at church, or in public when I act out because I'm not getting my way? My favorite personal quote  in my little mini-bio sections is "God's strong-willed child in charge of another of His strong-willed children. Talk about the blind leading the blind...."

Makes me realize that I need to act like Nate does after I've finally had to break down and use a belt on his bottom. Just crawl up in my Daddy's lap, say "I'm sorry I didn't listen to you, Daddy" and let Him wipe my tears and guide me in the right direction once again. Why do I always force Him to use the rod of correction to bring me back to where I should be? Why don't I just LISTEN to His direction when He gives it gently?

Of course, God loves me. He loves the good in me. Just like my 4 year old strong-willed child has some amazing qualities that can't be ignored, I do as well. He can be the sweetest little guy, and loves to say things like "How are you feeling today, Mommy?" and "You're the best Mommy ever!". He loves his Daddy with no holds barred, always has a song in his heart, and is the first to jump up and help when I ask him to do something to help here. When I ask him to clean his room, more often than not he goes right to it and cleans it within a few minutes, whereas my 11 year old takes ALL DAY, only because he whines the entire time about having to do it. So I know that my Heavenly Daddy sees the good qualities in me, like how much I love to help my friends when they need someone to talk to. Or how I love to bake and cook for friends, or how I love to do portraits for people who couldn't otherwise afford them, etc. I love to use the many gifts He's given me to help others. And, I have to believe that just like me, He wishes I would let those qualities shine more often when I'm showing the not-so-good qualities that did not come from Him.

Hmmmm...and I'm always saying how much like his DADDY my Nate-Nate is.... now that I re-read the above paragraphs... LOL... kinda makes me think about it a little differently!

How's your Monday going?

Proverbs 29:15 NLT
To discipline a child produces wisdom,
but a mother is disgraced by an undisciplined child.

Proverbs 22:15 NLT
A youngster's heart is filled with foolishness,
but physical discipline will drive it far away.







1 comment:

  1. Hi, I enjoyed reading your post about mothering. It brought back memories of the day I walked out of the drug store with my screaming 18 month old. An older man was standing near the door, and when I saw him watching us, I gasped, "She's got a will of her own." In a very dry voice he replied, "They all do." :)

    I'm your newest GFC follower from the hop and would love a follow back - thanks!

    Mary
    http://Redo101.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete